President John Mahama has tweeted asking Ghanaians to ignore claims by the main opposition New Patriotic Party that it had won the presidential polls by 54%.
This follows a tweet by Nana Akufo-Addo’s nephew, Gabby Otchere-Darko, that the flag bearer of the NPP has won the 2016 presidential race by 54 per cent.
“Results from NPP’s national collation centre so far: We have so far 17,559 polling station results, 60.68%, with 11,508 remaining (39.33%). Nana Akufo-Addo has 55.70%, representing 3,589,131 votes. John Mahama has 2,762,548, or 42.68%. Note. This is provisional but true reflection of pinksheet numbers,” Mr Otchere-Darko posted on Facebook.
Mr Otchere-Darko wondered why the Electoral Commission (EC) had not confirmed any results hours after polls ended.
“I bet you are wondering what Charlotte [Osei] is waiting for… E-transmission was supposed to speed up results declaration. So how come 2016 has been slower than 2012 and 2008? Who is causing the jam?” he quizzed in a tweet.