Gobi or cauliflower Manchurian is a popular Indo Chinese dish. This is a super delicious appetizer or main dish. Gobi manchurian satisfies both your savory and spicy cravings! It consists of fried gobi (cauliflower) simmered in a flavorful gravy made with soy sauce and red chili sauce.
- 20 cauliflower pieces cut into medium size florets
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste or finely shredded ginger (adrak)
- 1 green chili chopped
- 1/4 cup celery finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons red chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons corn starch or arrow root powder
- Approx. ½ cup water
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour (plain flour, maida)
- 3 tablespoons corn starch or arrow root powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Approx. ½ cup water
- Mix the corn starch with water and set aside.
- Heat the oil in sauce pan over medium high heat; add ginger, celery and green chili stir for about two minute. Add all the ingredients for sauce except corn starch, (chili sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, tomato paste, and sugar).
- Stir for 2 minutes add corn starch and cook for another two minutes, sauce should be thick, consistency of a dosa or pancake batter. If needed add more water, sauce gets thicker as it sits.
- Sauce is ready, set aside.
- To make batter mix flour, corn starch, salt and pepper in a bowl. Add the water slowly to make a smooth batter (batter should be consistency of pancake batter or dosa batter).
- Heat at least one inch of oil in a frying pan over medium high heat. Oil should be moderately hot. (If oil is not hot cauliflower will be greasy).
- Dip the cauliflower into the batter one at a time, making sure it is completely covered by the batter. Then drop the cauliflowers slowly into oil in the frying pan. (do not overlap them)
- Fry the cauliflowers in small batches, four to five minutes per batch. Fry them turning occasionally, until they are all sides golden brown. Take them out over paper towel.
- Repeat this process for the remaining cauliflowers.
- Fold fried cauliflower/ gobies into gravy and serve hot.